Research Institute for Biology and Environment, Nong Lam University HCMC, Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam
Laboratory Animal Science (LAS) is a specialized subject considered under Veterinary Medicine & Animal Science. LAS is a fast developing subject in the world which is necessary for bio-medical research. The development of cell culture techniques and computer models has reduced the use of animal models in research in the recent past. These in-vitro models however, cannot substitute in-vivo animal models totally as in-vitro findings cannot be applied directly to in-vivo situation. Knowledge and expertise on Laboratory Animal Science is an urgent need for researchers engaged in animal experiments, particularly in developing countries like Vietnam. In addition, this course will disseminate basic knowledge and expertise required for such experiments in Vietnam is yet to be established. Therefore, a 2-weeks course on LAS is being organized by the Research Institute of Biotechnology and Environment, Nong Lam University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam in collaboration with the Department of Laboratory Animal Science of Utrecht University of Netherlands and Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB) of India. Members of academic staff of Utrecht University in the Netherlands and IGIB in India contributed to the development of the draft program of this LAS course that is scheduled to be held in 2016 in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Although local resource persons would play an active role, the support and participation of international scientists in the field is greatly valued as this is the first course on LAS to be held in Vietnam.
Objectives of the Course:
• Disseminate basic facts and principles (knowledge, skills and attitude) that are essential for the human use and care of animals recruited for research
• Support a critical and analytical attitude towards the scientific knowledge underlying laboratory animal science related activities
• Improve quality of research conducted in Vietnam
Local organization committee:
Prof. Dr. Nguyen Hay, President of Nong Lam University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Assoc.Prof. Dr. Le Dinh Don, Director of Research Institute for Biotechnology and Environment, Nong Lam University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Dr. Nguyen Bao Quoc, Research Institute of Biotechnology and Environment
Dr. Nguyen Ngoc Thuy, International Cooperations Office
MSc. Nguyen Thi Hoai, International Cooperations Office
List of senior invited course staff:
1. Dr. Harry Blom – Utrecht University, the Netherlands
2. Prof. Dr. Vera Baumans – Utrecht University, the Netherlands
3. Dr.. Pim Rooymans – Utrecht University, the Netherlands
4. Prof.Dr. J. Meijer - Utrecht University, the Netherlands
5. Dr. Vijay Pal Singh – CSIR – Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB)
6. Dr. Mangala Gunatilake - University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
7. Dr. Montip Gettayacamin – American AAALAC Accreditation
The tentative program of this course is based on the category C recommendations of the Federation of European Laboratory Animal Science Association (FELASA) with regard to training of young scientists and will include (1) Lectures and discussion; (2) Practical sessions; (3) Video presentation on rat life; (4) Tour of an animal facility and (5) Group tasks.
The evaluation of participants in this course will be done based on the following criteria:
1. 100% Attendance
2. Group tasks (40% marks)
3. Written examination at the end of the course (60% marks)
Participants will be awarded the Certificate of Competence or Certificate of Participation based on the status and results of their participation and performance as the following:
+ Who obtain 50% or more for 2 and 3 above will be awarded a ‘Certificate of Competence’.
+ Others will be awarded a ‘Certificate of Participation’.
Course fee: free
The participants will be covered local hospitality to attend LAS course; travel is not funded. Limited accommodation-twin share could be covered for participants during the course.
Who can apply ?
Maximum number of participants in this course is 30. Eligibility criteria for participants:
* National and international researchers/lecturers from academic institutes and industry
* Candidates holding at least bachelor's degree in the field of animal biotechnology/ veterinary sciences/medicine/ immunology and microbiology
* Must have a basic knowledge of animal experimental skills and be engaged or who will be engaging in animal experiments
How to apply?
· All information of this course, please contact Dr. Nguyen Bao Quoc at email: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Deadline: 31.8.2016
Page count : :1474
Created : 26-07-2016
Last modify :